Monday, October 31, 2005

Location, Location, Location

I was pleased to receive in the mail last week an endorsement and contribution from the Utah County Association of Realtors (UCAOR).

This came as a result of an interview I had with members of the board. Here's what I told them:

Location, location, location. As the city of American Fork, we are the location, and the best thing we can do to facilitate home sales is tend to the quality of life in the neighborhoods. Sidewalks, safe routes to school, and parks are issues on which UCAOR and I see eye-to-eye.

Impact fees. While impact fees are a necessary evil -- they enable a city to provide fire and ambulance, roads, sewer, and parks up front to a new development -- they are still a tax, and responsible government must do its part through pro-active planning to keep that tax to a minimum.

Zoning. Adherence to a good general plan is a central theme of my campaign. But it's important to be sure that zoning meets the needs of the City while responding to market forces. Otherwise, the City will see a surplus of unsaleable homes, which leads to blight. Also, it's important to remember that zoning is not the only tool available to a city seeking to offer upscale housing options. Additional tools are available in the form of covenants, codes, and restrictions.

Envision Utah. I endorse the work of Envision Utah in this area.

Question: Does UCAOR's endorsement make me beholden to realtors or developers?

Answer: No. This is not a bribe. It's important to note that all the information in this interview flowed one way -- from me. In other words, I explained my philosophy, and UCAOR decided its level of agreement. At no time did the board ask me to take any specific position on any given issue.

Question: Do I have the spine to stand up to outside interests when the City's interests are at stake?

Answer: Yes, I have a spine, and this doesn't change that. I also have red hair, which comes with the classic red-headed temperament, and that's not going to change, either.

At least, the temperament's not. I did, however, pull out my first gray hair last night.

I'm starting to think this campaign has gone on long enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home