Thursday, November 03, 2005

Internet

It turns out that I am the only candidate in my race who supports AFCNet. I am proud to bear that distinction.

Here is my position on the city's broadband system:

AFCNet is a public investment in infrastructure that opens the door to competitive information technology offerings by the private sector. (Contrary to popular opinion, AFCNet is not a private business and does not compete with private businesses.)

AFCNet should be an important part of American Fork's economic development package. Governor Huntsman, in his economic development plan, designated Utah County as an information technology center for the state. AFCNet helps American Fork compete for IT businesses.

AFCNet is close to becoming revenue-positive. Through good management and aggressive marketing, AFCNet can become an important source of revenue for the city.

AFCNet is fast, reliable, and affordable. It is the gift that enables my lifestyle. At least fifty percent of the work I do for the city involves electronic research or communication undertaken in the comfort of my home while my children sleep.

=========================================

The last time I worked this hard to advocate a computer decision was in 1987, the year my little brother graduated from the eighth grade at St. Joseph's Institute for the Deaf. My grandpa wanted to mark the occasion by giving him a computer. My mom wasn't so sure. Fortunately, it wasn't hard for me to paint a picture of the worlds that would open to a boy who could communicate through typing.

This is perhaps why my brother, Randy, has just sent my campaign this most superb endorsement:

Aside from being a mother extraordinaire and political scion, Heidi takes her hidden proficiency to high gears, employing her high-octane offense into the realm of assisting people with disability. There is this Anne Sullivan-quality of patience (Helen Keller's tutor) in Heidi, that she will carry forth, braving the uncharted territory and bring American Fork to excellence. This above is the solid and sound endorsement from me, her deaf brother.
One thing this means is that my campaign has just surged into the lead in St. Augustine, Florida, Randy's home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home