Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Finance Report: It's Not About Money.

Michelle Draper, our friendly neighborhood campaign treasurer, has just completed the finance report for the primary, and it's bea-u-ti-ful.

Some facts for the curious:


We reported $2,825 in contributions and $1608 in expenses (so far).

Expenses include domain registry, stamps for the fundraising letters, signs, flyers, and newspaper ads.

Contributions to date come from 27 different donors. Two-thirds of these came in amounts of $50 or less.

The largest contribution was a check for $1,000 from Dale Gunther.

This raises the question: Am I Dale's puppet?

Answer: No.

Dale is NOT a puppeteer. If he were, American Fork would have a downtown instead of a vision for one. Dale and I share that vision, but we disagree on other issues -- as he pointed out to me when he wrote the check. There were no strings attached to his check.

Dale has only American Fork's interest at heart, as do I. I am proud to list him as a contributor.

But, getting back to my original point: It's not about money.

It's about support.

It's not the one donation of $1,000 that will win this election. It's the 100 donations of $10, together with the many contributions of time, labor, and thought -- things that will never show up on the financial report.

Nothing means so much to me as the $20 checks written to my campaign, at great sacrifice, by grateful members of humble neighborhoods whose children now have playgrounds in their parks.

No contribution makes a greater difference than the time given by friends and neighbors who are caring for young children or elderly parents or both -- but can still make time on a Saturday to take flyers door-to-door.

Now that's what I call support.

I am humbled to have the support of so many good people. Humbled, honored, and encouraged -- encouraged to think that so many share the vision for this city we call home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home